Benefits of Giving
There are many benefits to giving to Easter Seals Nova Scotia. Some give for philanthropic reasons such as giving back to the community. Others give for financial benefits, recognition, or legacy naming opportunities. Charitable giving is a wise investment that enables you to:
- Make a significant contribution to a cause in which you believe.
- Direct your donation to support any aspect of Easter Seals Nova Scotia.
- Maximize your tax, financial, and estate planning benefits.
- There are many options available to make giving fit your budget.
- Establish a named fund in the memory of someone or perpetuate the name of a business.
- Leave a truly meaningful gift for which you will be remembered.
- Many employers match gifts made by their employees, helping your gift go even further.
Charitable Tax Credits
Donations made to Easter Seals Nova Scotia are tax deductible and a tax receipt will be issued for all donations of $15.00 or more unless otherwise advised. Monthly donors can choose to have their tax receipts mailed to them monthly or annually.
Donations can help to reduce your individual income tax. You need a valid receipt to qualify for a tax credit that reduces your income tax payable. Tax credits are calculated as a percentage of the amount you donate in a given year. Generally, you can claim all or part of your donations up to a limit of 75 percent of your net income. You may also be eligible for a provincial tax credit for your donations. The amount of the provincial tax credit varies between provinces.
You do not have to claim all of the donations you made this year on your current-year return. You can claim them on your return for any of the following five years. You can also combine your receipts with your spouse and have only one person claim the entire amount.
For the most accurate information on tax credits, visit the Canada Revenue Agency. Easter Seals Nova Scotia also encourages donors to seek professional, legal, and financial advice before deciding on a course of action.